History Of Our College

Annammal College of Education was founded in 1962 by Thiru. AR.A.S. Arumugasamy Nadar, (1893 - 1971) the eldest and illustrious son of the founder of the Subbiah Dharmanidhi, Thiru. AR.A. Subbiah Nadar (1871-1943) with the noble ideal of imparting training to graduates among women to become able and talented teachers. The college bears the name of his beloved and benign mother Thirumathi Annammal. Thiru.D.Shenbagamurthi (1921 - 1986) who succeeded his uncle in 1968, brought glory to the Trust and College by his selfless and devoted work. Constructing the College and hostel buildings in the new picturesque location on the Tiruchendur Road had always been a dream to him. This dream had come true on 31st January 1993 when the new College and hostel buildings were declared open by Thiru.G.K.Moopanar.

Thiru.S.Gauthaman, succeeded his father as secretary of the college from 1986-1993. Thiru.D.Shunmugam (1993 - 2010), took over charge from 1993 as the secretary. He joined hands with Thiru. D. Ganesan, the president of the Subbiah Dharmanidhi trust in making the college a techno park in its infrastructure. They worked for continuous improvement and updation of teaching facilities and resources at all levels.

Thiru.D.Ganesan served as the Secretary of the college from 2010 - 2018. His commitment to quality is always unflinching. Mr.S.Muralidharan is the present secretary of the college and has the insatiable thirst for making the true vision of his ancestors.

The College was affiliated in 1962 to the Madras University and then from 1966 to Madurai Kamarajar University and since 1990 to the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University at Tirunelveli. Since 2008 the college is affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University, Chennai. The College has been granted recognition by the National Council for Teacher Education since 1996.

The College offers a two year B.Ed. and M.Ed. course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Education and Master of Education. The M.Ed. course was commenced in the year 1994-95. It was affiliated to Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, Tirunelveli. From the year 2008, it was affiliated to Tamil Nadu Teachers Education University (TNTEU), Chennai. At present, we have an intake of 50 students. From 2000 to 2009 the college offered PGDCA Course affiliated to the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University,Tirunelveli.

The syndicate of TNTEU has granted recognition to our college to offer research leading to M.Phil. degree from the academic year 2014-2015. The college will admit 20 students in part - time / full - time basis. The college is the study centre for Indira Gandhi National Open University B.Ed programme since 2008.

The College has a Network Resource Centre equipped with modern computer system with Local Area Network and Multimedia. A very wide range of facilities exist for extracurricular activities - games & sports, social work & community service clubs, road safety patrols, students’ union, Science Club, English Club, Health Club, Research Club, Maths Club, Eco Club, History Club, IT Club, Red Ribbon Club, Tamil Manram, Rotaract Club, Psychology Club, Consumer Club etc., for the total development of the students.

Right from the inception, erudite scholars and able administrators have served as Principals and held aloft the flag of the College. The College also has a team of talented and devoted faculty. The results in the University Examinations have been consistently good and the College has carved a niche for itself in the field of teacher education in Tamil Nadu.